Repertory Philippines Unveils 2017 Season Line-up
TOP 10 highlights from Repertory Philippines’ launch party last October 17 at the Manila Polo Club:
1. President and CEO Mindy Perez-Rubio gives an introductory speech
Perez Rubio: “We want to invite you back for our Golden Anniversary because you are part of Repertory’s story. You have made Repertory what it is today and what it will be tomorrow. And so our 50th year, we invite you all to come back to where it all began. On our 50th year, we want to ask you to come home to Rep.”
2. Unveiling of Rep’s new logo
Perez-Rubio: “Because it’s our Golden Anniversary, we wanted to present something new, something modern, something that the new generation can push forward into the 21st century. So I am proud to present our newly refreshed logo.”
(READ: Repertory Philippines Celebrates Golden Year in 2017)
“We rounded up the corners a bit to give it a touch of modernism. And then you see the ‘R’ a little more which stands for Repertory. The word Rep below is a nickname that has been given to us and we really felt that name. It’s cute, it’s short, it’s catchy, it’s easy to remember, and it’s relatable. The red shades that you see here signify the new young blood of all the talents that are pouring into Rep and they merge with our vibrant and veteran actors. And of course the gold tone signify the fact that we’ve finally reached our golden years.”
3. Big Announcement for 2017
Perez-Rubio: “Finally, we are marking our Golden Anniversary with an historic celebration, something that probably happens only once in 50 years. We are gathering all the bright stars, all the Repertory actors, in one stage, for one night, to sing, dance, act, and, perform for you in a grand gala musical extravaganza to be held at the Solaire theater on June 2017.”
4. Founder Baby Barredo and Artistic Director Joy Virata Talk About their Humble Beginnings
Baby Barredo talked about how the company began, starting at a time where there were only school productions that staged shows once a year. They started by investing P250 each and rehearsed at the houses of anyone who would have them. She jokingly said that they had to borrow, beg, and steal costumes!
Joy Virata recounts how she broke her wrist during her first experience on stage. The first thing she thought about when she was in the hospital? “Oh my God! They’re never going to hire me again!” She said that she decided to be a part of Repertory Philippines when she saw Baby Barredo in the musical Mame.
5. Michael Williams and Roselyn Perez performs an excerpt from Rep’s 1st production for 2017– Vanya and Sonia and Masha and Spike
The show won Best play in the 2013 Tony Awards. Filipino Broadway producer Jhett Tolentino also bagged his 1st of 3 Tony Awards for co-producing this show. Michael Williams and Roselyn Perez will be joined by Cherie Gil and Joaquin Valdes.
6. Rebecca Coates and Joy Virata perform an excerpt from Agnes of God
7. Caisa Borromeo and Giannina Ocampo perform an excerpt from In the Next Room (The Vibrator Play)
The play was nominated for 3 Tony Awards in 2010–Best Play, Best Featured Actress in a Play for Maria Dizzia, and Best Costume Design of a Play for David Zinn.
8. Performances for Rep’s upcoming musicals– A Little Princess, the company’s final show for 2016; Beauty and the Beast, Rep’s children’s theater production for 2017; and Hair, Rep’s big musical for 2017
Gabby Padilla and Jillian Ita-as alternate as Sara in A Little Princess. Watch them perform “Live out Loud” and “Good Luck Bonne Chance” with the rest of the cast in this video excerpt.
Cara Barredo and Irra Cenina also perform two excerpts from Beauty and the Beast. And last but certainly not the least, Bituin Escalante and a temporary ensemble cast of actors perform Aquarius from Hair, Rep’s big musical for 2017.
9. The alumnae and current members of Rep come in for a big photo opportunity and sing an original song composed by Ejay Yatco
10. Bituin Escalante sings a powerful impromptu performance of Tick Tick Boom’s Come to Your Senses
Ms. Bituin Escalante sings an impromptu performance of Tick Tick Boom's Come to Your Senses that has everyone in tears. Just one of the epic things happening at Repertory Philippines' 50th anniversary launch party. Did you know that she played Susan in Atlantis Productions' version of that musical opposite Jett Pangan and Michael de Mesa in 2002? #TheaterFansLive #Manila #TheaterFansMNL #musical @bituinea #RepPH
Impromptu performance? No kidding!
One thing’s for sure– it’s going to be one heck of a season!