5 Fun Facts About ‘The Last Five Years’
Barefoot Theatre Collaborative’s The Last Five Years has recently announced its final extension this November 10 to 12 at the Power Mac Center Spotlight Blackbox Theater, Circuit Makati. But before we all dive into the musical’s final weekend, here are 5 interesting things that you might have not known about the show.
1. The material is loosely based on composer Jason Robert Brown’s failed marriage with his first wife.
2. Jamie’s story is told in chronological order (start to end of the relationship) while Cathy’s story is told in reverse (end to start of the relationship). Their timelines only meet at one point in the musical, during the proposal and wedding scene (The Next Ten Minutes).
3. The musical is sung-through and told through 14 songs. It runs for 90 minutes with no intermission.
4. There was a 2014 movie adaptation starring Anna Kendrick and Jeremy Jordan directed by Richard LaGravenese. Jason Robert Brown even appeared in the film as the pianist for Cathy’s audition. Former actresses who have played Cathy like Sherie Renee Scott and Betsy Wolfe also had cameos in the film.
5. This is the third time this musical is being professionally staged in the Philippines: first was in 2003 with Audie Gemora and Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo under Actors’ Actors Inc., second was 2014 with Joaquin Pedro Valdes and Nikki Gil under 9Works Theatrical, and now, starring real-life married couple Myke Salomon and Gab Pangilinan under Barefoot Theatre Collaborative.
Barefoot Theatre Collaborative’s The Last Five Years will have its closing weekend this November 10 to 12 at the Power Mac Center Spotlight Blackbox Theater, Circuit Makati.
Tickets are available at Ticket2Me or bit.ly/l5ytickets.