The show must go on(line)!
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve, theater companies are finding ways to sustain operations without the halls theatergoers are accustomed to. With CCP and Repertory Philippines cancelling shows for the rest of the year, online roundtables, workshops, and performances characterize the “new normal” in theater’s transition to a digital landscape. (I mean, they say “all the world’s a stage,” right?)
This past month, Dulaang UP, CCP, and other organizations have released shows through Youtube, Zoom, and Facebook Live, bringing the theatrical experience to your home. If you missed the 48-hour “Ang Huling El Bimbo” window — or you’re simply craving for more to watch — we’ve compiled nineteen shows and readings from the local scene for you to stream and savor. Enjoy!
1. Co-Video Series (SPIT)
2. Ang Nawalang Kapatid (Dulaang UP)
3. Fathers and Sons (Dulaang UP)
4. The Kundiman Party (Dulaang UP)
5. Ang Goldfish ni Prof. Dimaandal (Open House)
6. Ang Bagong Cristo (Dulaang UP)
7. Ang Banaba (The Egg Theater Company)
8. Twelfth Night (CAST PH / TheaterFansManila.com)
9. Orosman at Zafira (Dulaang UP)
10. The Merry Widow (Philippine Ballet Theatre)
11. Suor Clara (The Virgin Labfest)
12. The Winter’s Tale (Manila Shakespeare Company)
13. Firebird and Other Ballets (Philippine Ballet Theatre)
14. Adarna (Dulaang UP)
Director José Estrella helmed this 2013 staging of the search for the mythical bird, whose song serves as the only hope for the survival of an ailing king. It is a full-length corrido (a narrative song) adapted by Vlad Gonzales, brought to life with puppetry, shadow play, and multimedia innovations. JC Santos stars as the young hero, Don Juan, in this coming-of-age journey that primes him for the throne of Berbanya.
15. Asawa/Kabit (The Egg Theater Company)
Written by George de Jesus III, this play was first staged in 2009 for the fifth season of The Virgin Labfest. RS Francisco and Ricci Chan star alongside each other in a confrontation between a wife and a mistress about love, life and the complications of being in a relationship with the same man. As part of the Open House fundraising campaign, it was presented by Stages Production Specialists and The Egg Theater Company.
16. Kung Paano Ako Naging Leading Lady (The Virgin Labfest)
17. Lolo Doc (Tanghalang Pilipino)
18. Darangen ni Bantugen (Philippine Ballet Theatre)
19. Lysistrata ng Bakwit (Tanghalang Ateneo)
20. Dalawang Gabi (The Virgin Labfest)
Three one-act plays were filmed as ‘plays-on-video’ over on Pelikulove. This first one is Dalawang Gabi, a story about a young man who returns to meet a former teacher, stirring up the past. Available this month on Pelikulove. You have to register (it’s free!) to access the video.
21. Indigo Child (Pelikulove)
Written by Rody Vera and directed by Jose Estrella, Indigo Child, is a one-act about a son’s relationship with his troubled mother. Starring Skyzx Labastilla and Rafael Tibayan. Available this month on Pelikulove. You have to register (it’s free!) to access the video.
22. Daddy’s Girl (The Virgin Labfest)
Written by playwright Dingdong Novenario (Ang Huling El Bimbo), this one-act shows a woman who encounters her late father in the afterlife where they confront each other about the nature and truth of their relationship. Available this month on Pelikulove. You have to register (it’s free!) to access the video.