Apple TV+ has assembled a stellar cast for its upcoming musical comedy project including Broadway stars Kristin Chenoweth (Wicked), Aaron Tveit (Moulin Rouge!), Alan Cumming (Cabaret), Jane Krakowski (Nine), Ann Harada (Avenue Q), and Ariana DeBose (Hamilton).
The as-yet untitled comedy series will be executive produced by Lorne Michaels’ Broadway Video and written by Cinco Paul and Ken Daurio (Despicable Me). The show will star Cecily Strong (Saturday Night Live) and Keegan-Michael Key (Key & Peele) as a couple on a trip to reinvigorate their relationship. Other members of the cast include Fred Armisen (Portlandia), Dove Cameron (Descendants), and Jaime Camil (Jane the Virgin).
The series will follow the main couple as they stumble upon a magical town called Schmigadoon (a spoof of the Lerner and Loewe musical Brigadoon) whose inhabitants behave like they are part of a studio musical from the 1940s. The couple then discover that they cannot leave the place until they find “true love.”
A report by Deadline provides more details and descriptions of the interesting cast of characters:
- Key and Strong play long-term partners Josh and Melissa, who find themselves lost in a magical, musical town.
- Cumming plays Mayor Menlove, the town’s welcoming but mysterious mayor.
- Harada plays Florence Menlove, the mayor’s oblivious but dutiful wife.
- Armisen plays Reverend Layton, the town’s mild-mannered religious leader.
- Chenoweth plays Mildred Layto, the Reverend’s morally superior wife who likes to know what everyone is up to.
- Tveit plays Danny Bailey, the town bad boy who might cause complications when he sets his sights on Melissa.
- Cameron plays Betsy, the farmer’s daughter who is smitten by Josh.
- DeBose plays Emma Tate, the town teacher and a modern woman who doesn’t quite fit in.
- Camil plays Doc Lopez, the handsome town doctor with a heart of ice.
- Krakowski plays The Countess, a sophisticated lady with her heart set on marrying the doctor.
Paul will be the showrunner and will write all the original music while Barry Sonnenfeld (The Addams Family) will direct. No further details have been released so far.